One of the biggest challenges at any large event is how to keep visitors fed and watered. It seems an almost impossible task to remove the ever present queues. How can visitors order drinks without having to go to the bar and wait in line? The first thought is to have wait staff serving drinks to visitors, but this is a huge overhead, and impractical at large events and venues.
BPL Digital worked Localz to provide an app for the Grand National, that enabled visitors to order and pay for food and drinks through their smartphone. Visitors could then pick up their drinks from a collection point, removing the need for a slow moving queue. Visitors no longer had to wait while bar staff poured the drinks for each person ahead of them, but could simply pick up their drinks when they were ready.
A great idea, for sure. But how would visitors know about this new app? And would they remember to use it in the hustle, bustle and excitement of the Grand National?
By placing beacons at key points near the entrance to bar areas, Localz was able to prompt visitors with a message, inviting them to use the app.
- Beacons were placed at key points near the entrance to bar areas.
- When an attendee was close to an entrance, they were sent push notifications via the BPL Digital app.
- Attendees were invited to use the app to order drinks from their smartphone.
- When the drink order was ready, a notification was sent to the attendee to pick up their drinks.
- 88% of users said it improved their race day experience
- Over 90% of users rated the app 4/5 or 5/5 stars
- #2 ranking in the UK App Store for Sports
Grand National says
“We met the Localz team as fellow members of the PayPal Start Tank. We were chatting with them about how we could let people know about the BPL Digital app while they were actually at the Grand National, ready to buy a drink. We wanted something simple and non-intrusive, that enabled visitors to quickly and easily engage with the app. Using beacons was a great solution.”CEO, BPL Digital
About Grand National
The 2015 Crabbie’s Grand National was the 168th annual running of the Grand National horse race at Aintree Racecourse near Liverpool, England. The showpiece steeplechase took place on 11 April 2015, the final day of a three-day meeting. A field of 39 runners competed for a share of the £1 million prize fund.